Jun 2, 2007

Paula's Tale of the Tape

by Sarah Hall

Why does everyone keep picking on Paula Abdul?
The American Idol judge said Thursday she was "deeply hurt" after a highly emotional phone conference she recently conducted with her representatives was leaked to the press.

"This is not only illegal but also highly unethical," Abdul said in a statement to tmz.com. "While I don't feel a need to justify or explain my conversation, even as a public figure I do feel my privacy has been violated and find this action to be unacceptable."

During the recorded conversation, which was first reported by the New York Post, and later posted on YouTube by blogger Perez Hilton, a weepy Abdul breaks down while discussing her dissatisfaction with her ex-publicist, Howard Bragman.

"I've never been treated this way and I've never seen anybody treated this way. This is just too much to stomach," she sobs to a group of unidentified listeners, one of whom assures her: "You're going to begin being treated better starting right now."

Among Bragman's alleged transgressions as outlined by Abdul: failing to accompany her to an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, telling her she was "too old" for the cover of OK! magazine, and referring to her as a "whining bitch."

"I don't understand how this man can call me a whining bitch. I've never in my life been called a whining bitch and a loser," Abdul, 43, moans.

Bragman declined to comment on the situation, beyond telling the Post: "I'll stand by my reputation if she'll stand by hers."

Abdul also discusses an assortment of issues with her health on the tape, claiming that she had recently developed Addison's disease, a rare endocrine disorder that causes chronic fatigue and muscle weakness, among other symptoms.

"I've been going through tremendous amounts of a difficult time," she says.

"I've developed this thing called Addison's disease…My adrenals are empty…and my immune system is not very good. And the worst thing about my spinal cord injury, and now Addison's, is that stress makes it hyper, hyper bad."

At an event in New York Thursday night, Abdul downplayed her health problems, telling People magazine she had not actually been diagnosed with Addison's disease.

"I haven't been diagnosed with it. I'm just exhausted. Sometimes I have really low blood sugar levels. It's all because I work very hard, that's it," she said.

"When you work as hard as I do, you become exhausted. That's what happens. I'm working on five different projects right now. And now people are saying I have Addison's. I'm tired."

"I'm doing fine. I'm a fighter," she added.

Fans will get a glimpse of the inner workings of Abdul's life and her various professional projects later this month, with the premiere of her new fly-on-the-wall series, Hey Paula, which debuts on Bravo June 28.

With cameras trained on Abdul around the clock, the pseudo-reality show promises to display the many sides of her personality, "from the stressed celebrity and tough business woman to the comedic prankster."

No word on whether "emotional mess" will factor into the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment