May 13, 2007

Pirates 'did a big flip for my career,' says Johnny Depp

Now that the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie is ready to hit the theaters, lead actor Johnny Depp has revealed how much he owes to the production.


In an emotional interview with the Daily Mirror, Depp confessed that his portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow has rescued his wavering career.

"I was the guy who had been bouncing around the film industry for years and I'd been lucky if five or 10 people would see my movies, so Captain Jack did a big flip for my career," the Mirror quoted him, as saying.

Depp, whose daughter Lily-Rose recently suffered from a critical illness, also revealed that his character, and the film enabled him and his family to afford luxury and live a more comfortable life.

"He and Pirates have afforded me and my family a certain luxury in that we are able to live a little more comfortably and it will be something that will reverberate for my kids and their kids," he said.

The actor also said that he took on Captain Jack Sparrow with pure instinct and never imagined that it was going to be a huge hit.

"When I decided to take the role it was pure instinct. I didn't know it was going to be such a huge hit. Nothing like this has ever happened to me. It's very, very moving and emotional, the idea that people feel this very strong connection with Captain Jack," Depp said.

No comments:

Post a Comment