May 10, 2008

Tom Cruise Sets the Record Straight On Oprah


It’s an interview that’s been three years in the making, ever since his infamous ‘couch jumping’ incident. And Oprah’s interview with Tom Cruise certainly lives up to every expectation.

Airing today, Part One of the interview, which takes place in the “Risky Business” actor’s Telluride, Colorado home, deals with a myriad of issues.

First and foremost, Oprah addresses the last time he appeared on her show. “When we finished that show with you jumping up on the sofa, I was like, ‘Wow. What was that?’ I had no idea it was going to turn into an international brouhaha, as I’m sure you did not either. I was a little nervous coming up this morning, I have to admit, because you and I have not sat down for a real conversation since the sofa incident.”

Cruise replied, “I just felt that way, and I feel that way about her. I can’t even articulate it, to be honest. That feeling, that connection. Just who she is and what she means to me.”

As for his open criticism of Matt Lauer during his Today show interview, the “Mission: Impossible” stud said, “I was feeling pressed in the interview with Matt Lauer. For me, my issue was really about child drugging. It’s not like it is today, like people are really kind of openly talking about this.”

When Oprah asked about his Scientology faith, Cruise replied, “It’s a minority religion, and I think that sometimes people misinterpret [it]. I think the best thing is for people to read about it themselves. I believe people have the right to choose what they believe in. The code of Scientologists says you respect the religious beliefs of others. That’s part of being a Scientologist, and that’s who I am as a person.”

Regarding his decision to keep his daughter Suri hidden from the media for so long, Tom defended the decision, saying, “We just wantd to have our baby, have the kids and everyone get to know Suri, get the family up here and just chill and have that time that you never get back.
You don’t ever get those moments back. Kate and I didn’t feel any need to [rush] it. We said, ‘Why? It’s our family.’ We just were on Suri time.”

Part Two airs Monday.



(Click to enlarge):

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment